- Frequently-asked questions
- System requirements
- VPN Infrastructure Diagram
FAQEncounter difficulties while installing Norton Secure VPN? Please click here for detailed Installation Guide.Subscription
1. Do I need to re-install Norton Secure VPN after changing to a new device?
Yes. You need to uninstall the Norton Secure VPN software from your old device before installing it on a new one. Login at https://cybersecurity.netvigator.com/ using your NETVIGATOR ID and password to uninstall and install.
2. Can I use Norton Secure VPN on multiple devices if I subscribe to the Norton Secure VPN service plan for just one device?
No. You can only use Norton Secure VPN on one device. If you want to use it on a new device, you will need to uninstall it.
1. Which operating platforms does Norton Secure VPN support?
Windows 7 or newer, the current and previous two versions of Mac OS X, the current and previous two versions of Apple iOS and Android 8.0 or newer.
2. What are the software or app names of Norton Secure VPN according to operating system?
PC: Norton Secure VPN
Mac: Norton Secure VPN
iOS: Norton Secure VPN – Proxy VPN/ Norton 360
Android: Norton Secure VPN - Security & Privacy Wifi Proxy/ Norton 360
3. What would be the impact if my device is using Android 6 and 7?
You can continue using their current app version. However, the app will not be able to upgrade to the new version if operating system maintain Android 6 and 7.
If the app is uninstalled, your device won’t be able to re-install it again, as the app will not be available in Google Play Store for these OS versions.
4. When will Norton Secure VPN stop support for Android 6 and 7?
The tentative launch date would be at the end of November. There will be no proactive communications to the user.
Functions (anonymous browsing)
1. Will installing Norton Secure VPN automatically delete any existing anti-virus software?
2. Will my computer or mobile phone slow down after I install Norton Secure VPN?
When a user connects to the Internet with Norton Secure VPN activated, Internet traffic will be routed through Norton Secure VPN's VPN server. This means speed will depend on the volume of Internet traffic and location of the server selected. For example, if a user connects to Norton Secure VPN's US server during peak hours, speed might be slower than if connected to Norton Secure VPN's Hong Kong server during non-peak hours.
3. Will Norton Secure VPN consume more of my Internet device's battery?
Consumption is negligible. All apps consume battery power, depending on usage patterns.
1. If my phone / computer has Norton Secure VPN installed, can it still be connected to my IP camera at home, given my IP address is hidden?
Yes. Norton Secure VPN only masks the IP address of the device it is protecting.
2. An IP camera at home is connected to my mobile phone and computer. If I install Norton Secure VPN in my mobile and computer, will it benefit my IP camera?
Only devices with Norton Secure VPN installed are protected, so your IP camera will not benefit.
3. Is Norton Secure VPN service suitable for users requiring a dynamic IP address?
No, because it will mask the device's IP address.
4. Will websites such as Facebook and YouTube be affected by Norton Secure VPN when it is installed on my Internet device? Will it cause login and security problems?
Some websites, such as Facebook and YouTube, will verify a user's identity with a security code or question when it detects a user is logging in from another country. As long as the user can answer questions correctly, he/she will be able to login as usual.
5. Can I still browse websites hosted in mainland China after installing Norton Secure VPN?
No. China (except Hong Kong and Macau) has blocked the VPN protocol.
6. Which Norton Secure VPN server should I choose?
If speed is your primary concern, then best use a local server or allow Norton Secure VPN to select one automatically.
7. Norton Secure VPN appears to deliver inferior server coverage and runs fewer servers compared with other service providers, so does that have implications for connectivity or stability?
Although some providers cover more countries and run more servers, a user's practical needs vary. For example not many need to use a South African IP server.
8. How many servers does the Norton Secure VPN use?
The IP addresses of servers are located in different countries such as the US, UK, Singapore and Brazil, and are Norton Secure VPN-optimized to ensure the best possible Internet browsing experience.
1. Most online banking website connections are SSL-encrypted, so why do I need Norton Secure VPN?
Using Norton Secure VPN adds another layer of protection when browsing. Without Norton Secure VPN, hackers might discover the SSL-protected online banking website you are visiting. When the connection is encrypted by Norton Secure VPN, hackers cannot track the website. Furthermore, some websites are not yet protected by SSL.
2. What type of encryption standard does Norton Secure VPN use?
1. What are the differences between traditional anti-virus software and Norton Secure VPN?
They both protect a user's safety online, but in different ways. Traditional anti-virus software scans a user's Internet device then fends off attacks from virus-infected files and malicious apps that have been downloaded, or come from malicious websites the user has visited.
Norton Secure VPN, on the other hand, protects a user's Internet connection to ensure safety while online. Privacy is maintained by encrypting a user's Internet connection and hiding his/her IP address, thereby reducing hacking opportunities.
2. What are the differences between Norton Secure VPN and free VPN software?
Norton Secure VPN offers advantages over free VPN software. For example, it guarantees advertisements will not appear, while promising unlimited usage and unlimited switches between servers. Moreover, Norton Secure VPN comes from award-winning security software expert Norton, which provides comprehensive customer support to ensure your connectivity to the service anytime, anywhere.
3. What functions does Norton Secure VPN perform, other than VPN?
Technically, VPN is not a function. It is the name of the structure of this protocol, by which users benefit from "geo-location switching". However, Norton Secure VPN also provides ad-tracker blocking to avoid being tracked online by advertisers and other companies, as well as connection encryption to hide a user's IP address.
Norton Secure VPN
- Mobile devices
Operating systems supported:
‧Microsoft Windows 10 (all versions), except Windows 10 S
‧Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 or later (all versions)
‧Microsoft Windows 7 (all versions) with Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later
macOS systems supported:
‧macOS 10.14 or later
Operating systems supported:
System requirements for Android™
Androids running 8.0 or later
System requirements for iOS
iPhones or iPads running the current and previous two versions of Apple iOS